Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Comic Con War Journal, Day one


Comic Con 09 - Images by Andrew Foulk



Wow, I just spent my evening surrounded by literally, thousands and thousands of people. All of whom, seem to be after the same toy, autograph, free schwag, or just the latest die cast of Doctor Who. Yes I spent my evening covering preview night at the 40th annual San Diego Comic Con "International". This is my forth year covering this event, and being a Comic book fan (nerd!) myself I really love the chance to get to be around so many people who make the industry work.

On the other hand, it seems like every year there seem to be more and more people showing up, and with he addition of Hollywood spending all their time and money promoting the next big "Comic Book" blockbuster. The convention has really changed from its roots, a small get together of around 300 comic book fans, to a massive four day festival of the avant-guard, filled with random people dressed as the "Gods" of their new religion of super hero, space captains, or even just you run of the mill Mario bother. It is still a great event that I look forward to ever year, but it has really outgrown its home, which is really the sadist part.

On the plus side, no matter how packed it gets, you'll never run out of interesting people to photograph. From kids in strollers dressed as Superman, to grown men and women dressed as Stormtroopers, to a random guy walking around dressed as Jesus. It is really a lot of fun, and can't wait till tomorrow for the first full day.

No comments: