Monday, July 18, 2011

Sad day

I was having lunch with my girlfriend when the phone rang, it was one of my editors, he wanted to see if I could rush out to the scene of an accident. So we finished up lunch and I headed down to the scene.



I knew it involved an elderly woman and her dog, both were assumed dead, so I wasn't overly excited about getting there. Once I got to the scene the police had some citizen officers blocking the road about 300 yards from the accident site, it took me about ten minutes and a commanding officer to actually get past the citizen officers.




After I did I saw a white pickup truck on the curb with a trash can under it and trash strewn all around the street. I started taking some shots, and then I noticed a white towel, that obviously had something under it, then I noticed a leash, and realized it was the dog. It was laying in the gutter in a small pool of blood under a few blood stains that covered the sidewalk above.



The eighty seven year old woman had been talking with her neighbor when the truck, coming from the opposite side of the street, started on a collision course with her and her dog. It drove across the median then struck her, her dog, and two trash cans before coming to a stop in a neighbors yard. The driver had an interlock device in his truck, and four previous DUI convictions.



There is nothing good I can say about this story, there is no silver lining to it, the outcome is awful and no one is a winner.

1 comment:

Barbara McLean said...

WHY do these repeat DUI people keep getting off! Can't we just lock them up? What is wrong with judges today!